Fleas are the most annoying parasite that can cause intense itchiness and health problems for your pets. When the weather is hot, there is a significant increase in the flea population and your dogs and cats can easily pick up the blood-sucking parasites simply by laying outside in the grass, passing by trees or shrubs, or from their furry friends at kennels, groomers, dog parks, etc. It is therefore imperative that you prevent the problem arising or where a flea problem already exists, you eliminate it quickly and permanently.
- Only 5% of the flea lifecycle is on your pet. The fleas you see are therefore only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your flea problem!
- Flea larvae can survive in the environment for up to 6 months.
- The female flea’s ability to breed is huge! She can lay 50 eggs per day and up to 2000 in her lifetime.
With these simple steps, you can help protect your dogs and cats from these parasites and prevent any health problems and discomfort.
1. Clean your environment
- Vacuum carpet, rugs, floorboards and skirting boards. Constantly clean kennel/cat basket.
- Regularly replace or wash pet bedding.
- Vacuum soft furnishings and car seats.
2. Groom your pet regularly
Grooming is a great way to check them for any abnormalities. Grooming maintains a healthy coat and skin on your pets and helps you to keep an eye out for any external parasites that may be hiding beneath your pet’s haircoat.
3. Use the correct products
The best dogs fleas treatment is using the right products suggested by your Vet. There are many products available on the market however only a small portion of these are effective in both eradicating and maintaining a flea-free environment for your dogs.
- Be sure to use products only prescribed to your pet. The product label can indicate the species for which it has been approved. Always monitor your dog especially sick or senior pets for any adverse reactions after applying flea control.
- Many flea treatments such as flea collars and flea powders simply don’t work properly. Other products, particularly those sold at supermarkets, fail after their initial application as well.
- Use a treatment all year round as fleas love heated winter houses.
At Yeronga Vet we have different products available for dogs and cats. Please contact us to suggest the best product for your pet.
4. Get regular checkups
One necessary thing your veterinarian does during your pet’s routine check-up is to examine him for any signs of parasite issues to make sure that the preventive product you’re using is working effectively.